Project & Utility Engineer - West DEPtford, NJ
VACANCY: Project & Utility Engineer
LOCATION: 2001 Nolte Drive West Deptford, NJ 08066
This position is responsible for the design and installation of new process equipment and modifications to existing equipment and processes. Responsibilities also include troubleshooting equipment-related process problems. The incumbent requires a thorough understanding of the chemistry and unit operations used in Supported Catalysts, Chemicals and Refinery processes as well as Boiler room and plant utilities.
- Design and specify new equipment installations undertaken by the business unit. Prepare project cost estimates and capital appropriation requests, justifying proposed spending with economic returns meeting company standards.
- Project responsibilities include conceptual design budgeting, project and equipment specifications, health, safety and environmental compliance, utility planning, soliciting quotations from equipment vendors and installation contractors, project cost estimation, financial analysis and justification, preparation of capital appropriation requests, detailed design and drawing preparation, installation supervision and start up.
- Coordinate with production, maintenance, purchasing, sales and marketing, accounting and finance, health, safety and environmental and the quality departments in the course of preforming engineering activities.
- Evaluate existing and new processes while considering yield and productivity, scale up, precious metal lockup, health, safety and environmental impact, suitability of proposed technology to plant resources and economic justification.
- Prepare bid packages to hire outside equipment vendors and outside contractors needed to complete projects.
- Complete engineering projects on time and at or under budget.
- Provide process engineering and troubleshooting support to production, utilities as necessary to meet all production/customer commitments.
- Direct supervision of licensed boiler operators (4).
- Oversee plant utility operations which consist of boilers, air compressors, vacuum pumps, DI water generation, COGEN engines, cooling water, chillers, condensate systems as well as building HV and exhaust systems.
- Maintains understanding, required records and inspections of all New Jersey State Laws & Codes concerning High Pressure Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Electrical Generating and Distribution Equipment.
- Maintains the plant utility equipment and HVAC systems to provide efficient energy to the facility.
- Contributes to production flow by minimizing downtime of utility systems due to equipment/parts failures. Works with inside and outside maintenance personnel on PM program for boilers, Natural Gas engines, Heat recovery steam generation and electrical generation systems.
- Keep abreast of chemical engineering technology by reading literature, attending meetings, classes and seminars at management discretion.
- Provide support in creating and up keeping of site air and water permits and other regulatory requirements.
- Travel to other JM sites for projects, as needed.
- May perform other related duties as required.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- B.S. in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the design, modification and installation of batch production process equipment.
- Must also be well versed in all aspects of engineering production support and chemistry applicable to the chemical/refinery operation.
- Required to hold a current Blue or Black State of New Jersey High Pressure Boiler license. Red State of New Jersey High Pressure Boiler license is preferred but may obtain upon hire.
If you believe you have the qualifications to fill the job opening above and wish to be considered:
Johnson Matthey is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to fostering diversity in the workplace.