PLANT OPERATOR - PriNceton Energy Center (NRG)
Company: NRG Princeton Energy at Princeton Energy Center
Location: Princeton Energy Center in Princeton, NJ
Blue Seal Plant Operator
The NRG Princeton Energy provides all the steam, chilled water, electricity and emergency power to the Penn Medicine – Princeton Medical Center. NRG owns, operates and maintains the plant. As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
This job description reflects an assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Operate, inspect, monitor and maintain in a safe, efficient, reliable, and environmentally sound manner all plant equipment 24/7 x 365.
- Chemical tests on boiler, cooling and chilled water systems.
- Routine electrical switching of switchgear 13.8 Kv and below.
- Employee must arrange own transportation to work location(s).
- Other duties and tasks may be assigned at the company's discretion
Desirable Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Gas Turbine, Diesel, Boiler, Chiller and Process Plant Operations
- Basic knowledge of maintenance areas such as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, welding, etc.
- Familiarity with Maintenance Management Software similar to SAP, Maximo or MP2.
- Basic Computer and Smart Phone Skills; E-Mail, Word, Excel, etc…
- Ability to handle multiple tasks or assignments at the same time.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Process Plant Environment - work both inside and outside in all temperatures and climate conditions
- Work around rotating equipment, energized electrical equipment, high noise areas, confined places, on elevations in excess of 50 feet, or from platforms at heights of 5 feet, or greater.
- Climb stairways, ladders, and work from aerial devices
- Work irregular or rotating shifts and respond to emergency callout 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- Work effectively in mentally stressful environments: must be able to react to crisis where immediate action is required to correct or curtail potentially damaging or hazardous situations
- Perform tasks by walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and extended from body to complete repairs.
- Lift, carry, position and use heavy tools and/or equipment (weighing up to 50 lbs) in awkward positions, swing various weights of sledge hammers, stoop and bend to reach valves, pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required (i.e. steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses, etc.)
- Must have the ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals
- Must have the ability to discern assorted colors
- Must be able to speak and read the English language
- High School Diploma or GED;
- At least 2 years power or process plant experience
- NJ Blue Seal Steam License preferred or have be able to obtain one within 3 months. HP Black Seals, with experience, will be considered.
- NJ Blue Seal Refrigeration ( Non-Hazardous) License preferred or be able to obtain one within 1 year.
- Must live within 50 miles or willing to relocate within 50 miles of Princeton
- Must be able to qualify for a Transportation Work Identification Credential
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license in NJ, NY or Pa
- Successful candidates will be required to take and pass a NRG Pre-employment Assessment test.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills. Official description on file with Human Resources.