City of Philadelphia - Grade A Exam
The engineering grade A exam covers operation, maintenance, repair, inspection, testing and overall of steam and hot water boilers. It also covers refrigeration and air conditioning units, steam driven equipment, internal combustion engines, fuel supply and storage systems, and codes, laws and rules. It includes all associated mechanical, and electrical control systems, pumps, water treatment, piping of steam and hot water systems and safety devices used to maintain and safely operate all of the above equipment. It covers work on steam boilers, operator pressures at or above 15 psi steam and driven by motors rated at over 30 hp and hot water boilers operating at pressures above 160 PSI and/or temperatures above 250F. It does not cover work on residential buildings, federal government projects or utility operations.
Students will be taking approximately 100 question test. You are allotted four hours of time and you are allowed to use reference books. A score of 70% is required to pass this exam.
The course consists of six, 2-hour training sessions at one of our locations.
The Program Covers:
- The application process
- Boiler types accessories and fittings
- Fuels, fuel piping, storage and firing methods
- Boiler startup and operation
- Boiler maintenance
- Refrigeration systems and operation
- Internal combustion engines
- Codes and laws; the basics
- Controls and control systems
- Use of reference materials
- And reference materials needed For testing